For more information contact
CCC TRiO Upward Bound Program
1900 Thornton , Bldg G-13
Clovis , NM 88101
Phone #: (575) 769-4350 ext. 1206
Fax #: (575) 769-4190
The UB Team
Ashly Baccas, Upward Bound Director
Laura DaVinci, Academic Services Coordinator
Sonya King, Mentor/Data Specialist
What is it?
The CCC Upward Bound program is a federally-funded TRiO program that provides high school students with educational opportunities designed to prepare them for higher education and beyond.
The UB Goal is a College Degree!
- Academic skill development
- Weekly tutoring and study sessions
- Academic advising and monitoring of academic progress
- Individualized assistance with personal, social, family development
- Cultural, social, and self-enrichment activities and trips
- Parent Involvement workshops and support
- College and career exploration
- Leadership and team building activities
- Goal setting and time management development
- Preparation and fees paid for the PSAT, SAT, ACT, and the NM High School Competency Exam
- College application assistance
- Financial Aid workshops & FAFSA assistance
- Social skills development
- Motivational guest speakers
- Visits to local and out-of-state colleges and universities
How it works
Academic Year Program
The academic year program of UB is held in conjunction with the regular academic school year. During this period, students participate in a variety of education, and social activities. Individual needs are assessed which enables instruction, tutoring, and counseling to be tailored to each student. One Saturday each month, Upward Bound students will attend academic seminars and activities at Clovis Community College . Food will be provided to all UB participants. Opportunities for personal enrichment and college/career exploration are also provided. One evening a semester, UB students will go out to dinner together and to a campus or community event. Throughout the school year, UB students will have opportunities to engage in a variety of community service activities and visit nearby colleges or universities.
Summer on Campus (SOC) Experience
The Summer-on-Campus Experience of UB consists of three weeks of activity at Clovis Community College , a two-week residential experience at Eastern New Mexico University , and one week of travel to visit other university campuses and participate in cultural and recreational activities. The three weeks at Clovis Community College will include academic instruction and tutoring, team building, extracurricular activities, and community involvement. The two weeks at Eastern New Mexico University introduces UB students to college residential life. College orientation, academic skill building and extracurricular activities are some of the highlights. During the sixth week of SOC, UB students will visit a larger urban city to experience museums, performing arts, college tours, and recreational activities.
How do I qualify?
Upward Bound serves students who have the potential to become the first generation in their families to complete a college education.
To be eligible, students must:
- Be in 9 th grade at the CHS Freshman Campus or 10 th grade at Clovis High School
- Come from a family in which neither parent has graduated from a four-year college and/or meets the low-income criteria mandated by the U.S. Department of Education
- Selection is also based on your academic need for UB services, recommendations from teachers and guidance counselors and a personal interview
- Have a desire to go to college after high school graduation
How much does Upward Bound cost?
Besides your full commitment, NOTHING! There is no cost to UB students. All costs associated with participating throughout each year are paid by Upward Bound (i.e. food, housing, recreation, supplies, tutors, and transportation). Upward Bound is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education and Clovis Community College . In fact, to ensure the Upward Bound students are not faced with an inordinate financial struggle, stipends are paid to students each month based on participation and academic progress.
Top Ten Reasons to join Upward Bound!
- To experience what it feels like to be a college student
- To discover who you are, what you are, where you are, and why you are the way you are
- To learn more about our world and society, and how they affect us today
- To make lifelong friendships
- To develop leadership skills
- To make your family proud
- To improve your grades
- To discover your own potential for success and achievement
- To succeed in high school, college and beyond
- TO HAVE FUN!!!!
UB Family Involvement
Families are an integral and valuable resource to the TRiO Upward Bound Program. The program will offer parent workshops throughout each year and families will be invited to various UB activities.
Is Upward Bound successful?
YES! 88% of Upward Bound graduates have entered post-secondary education. TRiO program research shows that Upward Bound students are four times more likely to earn a college degree than students from similar backgrounds who do not participate in the program. Awesome, right!
Here's how you get in:
It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!1 - UB PRE-APPLICATION
Download and print a Pre-Application form. You may also pick up a Pre-Application form from the TRiO Upward Bound office at Clovis High School in building G-13. Talk to your parent/guardian(s) about Upward Bound and ask them to help you complete all the areas on the Pre-Application form. Turn your completed Pre-Application form to the TRiO Upward Bound office or take it to your high school guidance counselor at Clovis High School or the CHS Freshman Campus.
2 - UB INTERVIEW
After we determine your eligibility for the program, we will contact you and your parent/guardian(s) to set up an interview.
3 - UB APPLICATION
After you and your parent/guardian(s) completely understand the program and the commitments, we will assist you in completing the Upward Bound Application! After you complete and turn in the UB application with the supporting documentation, we will contact you within two weeks to let you know if you have been granted acceptance in to the program.
Now you're ready to start preparing for your future and having a great time in the process!
So what are you waiting for? Become a UB student today!
The Clovis Community College TRiO Upward Bound Program is 100% funded by the U.S. Department of Education in the amount of $250,000 annually. Applicants will be selected for program participation in compliance with the provisions of Section 427 of the U.S. Department of Education's General Education Provisions Act (GEPA). Accordingly, access and participation will not be denied to applicants based on gender, race, religion, ethnicity, or disability.