Pell Grant

What is the Pell Grant?

The Pell Grant Program is funded by the Federal government. It is the largest federal grant program that provides money to help undergraduates pay for college education. Grants are gift aid and do not have to be repaid.

Applying for a Pell Grant

Students must annually complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at to apply for all federal financial aid programs. This includes the Federal Pell Grant Program. There is no charge to file the FAFSA application. A new application must be filed every academic school year.

Students will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) either via email or regular mail from the Federal Processor. The SAR includes an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) or number that indicates your tentative eligibility resulting from the Department of Education standard evaluation. The CCC Financial Aid Office uses the EFC to determine your Pell Grant award.

Who is eligible for a Pell Grant?

You may be eligible for a Pell Grant if you meet all of the following conditions:

  1. You are enrolled in a regular degree program as a degree-seeking student at CCC.
  2. You are a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen.
  3. You are making satisfactory academic progress as defined by the financial aid policy. (This policy is available online or in the financial aid office)
  4. You are not in default on a Perkins Loans, Subsidized or Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, Parent Loan (PLUS) or Supplemental Loan to Students (SLS).
  5. You do not owe a repayment on a previous Pell Grant or other grants.
  6. You can show financial eligibility as determined by your Student Aid Report (SAR).
  7. You have not previously earned a baccalaureate degree (B.A. or B.S.).

Annual Maximum Awards

The maximum scheduled Pell Grant award for the 2016-2017 award year is $5,815 for students enrolled on a full-time basis.

The maximum amount can change each award year and depends on program funding. The amount you receive, though, will depend not only on your financial need, but also on your costs to attend school, your status as a full-time or part-time student, and your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.

What do I do once I am awarded my grant?

Your Pell Grant will be applied directly to your student account each term. Any funds remaining after paying your tuition, fees, and other charges will be released to you. If your grant does not cover the cost of your institutional charges, you are responsible for making payment arrangements for the unpaid charges.

What if I withdraw from classes after receiving my Pell grant?

If you withdraw from credit hours at any time after receiving your check, you may be required to repay a portion or all of the funds you received. You will be notified by the Financial Aid Office.

Important Information regarding the Federal Pell Grant:

The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2017 (Pub. L. 115-31) was enacted on May 5, 2017. The law changed section 401(b) of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA), to allow a student to receive Federal Pell Grant (Pell Grant) funds up to 150% of the student’s Pell Grant Scheduled Award for an award year.

What does this mean for you?

Students who receive a full-time Pell Grant in both the Fall and the Spring semesters, in the past would have no remaining Pell Grant funds for the summer semester.  With this new law, eligible students who are enrolled at least half-time may have funding available for the summer semester.

Contact Info

Financial Aid Department
Dr. H. A. Miller Student Services Center
Clovis Community College
417 Schepps Blvd.
Clovis, NM 88101

Call: 575.769.4060

FAFSA School Code: 004743

Hours of Operation:
Monday through Thursday
from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Clovis Community College logo

2017 Clovis Community College. All rights reserved.
CCC adheres to the practice of EEO and the Americans with Disabilities Act

417 Schepps Blvd. | Clovis, New Mexico 88101 | 575.769.2811 | Fax 575.769.4190