*PIVOT POINT is a registered service mark and trademark owned by Pivot Point International, Inc.
Under the Cosmetology program, students can choose one of two tracks: Cosmetology or Esthetics/Nail Technician. Each track is certified by the New Mexico State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists (the Board) and are designed to provide basic skills that prepare students to take their state board exams to become licensed as a cosmetologist, esthetician, and/or nail technician.
The Cosmetology track provides training in all three areas: hair, skin, and nails. Students who complete this track will be eligible to sit for the NM Cosmetologist License board exam. This track is for someone who has a desire to work in the hair stylist industry, or for someone who desires to be well-rounded in all three areas. Although this program covers the basics of facials and waxing, it does not provide training in eyelash extensions or advanced facials such as chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and lifts. The
The Esthetics/Nail Tech track provides training in both esthetics and nail technician. Students who complete this track will be eligible to sit for the NM Esthetician License board exam and the Manicurist/Pedicurist License. A student who chooses this route will receive the same training for manicures, pedicures, nail enhancements, and facials as the cosmetology program; however, it also includes advanced hand and foot treatments; advanced facial treatments, such as chemical peels, microdermabrasion, lifts; and eyelash extensions. This combined program is not only more specialized in the areas of esthetics and nail tech, but also it provides students with the versatility to work in both fields if desired.
This is a full-time program that runs Monday - Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Students can start in either the fall or spring semester and complete program requirements in 3 semesters and 1 summer. Upon completion, students will earn 3 Certificates of Completion and 1 Certificate of Achievement from CCC and will be eligible to sit for the State Board Cosmetology license exam.
These program courses feed directly into the Associate of Applied Science degree in Cosmetology. Students interested in pursuing the associate degree can complete requirements in an additional 2 semesters.
This is a full-time program that runs Monday - Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. New students are accepted in the fall only. Program requirements can be completed in just 2 semesters. Upon completion of this program, students will earn 2 Certificates of Completion from CCC and will be eligible to sit for the State Board Esthetician and Manicurist/Pedicurist license exams.
Individuals interested in the Cosmetology or Esthetics/Nail Tech programs must complete the following before they can be placed on the waiting list:
- Applicants must complete and return a CCC Application for Admission to the Office of Admissions and Records if not currently enrolled.
- Applicants must complete a Cosmetology Program Application to be admitted to the full-time Cosmetology or Esthetics/Nail Technician. An application may be obtained from the Occupational Technology Division Chair, from the Advising Office, the Admissions Office, and must be on file in Educational Services Room 151 to be considered for admission to either program for the following spring or fall semester.
- High school transcript or GED scores and all college transcripts and CLEP scores must be forwarded to the Office of Admissions and Records. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions and Records or delivered in an envelope sealed by the institution.
- Students must meet the minimum levels required on the Accuplacer or appropriate placement test before they can be enrolled. More detailed information regarding the Accuplacer can be found in the CCC Catalog.
The selection process is based on the date all of the following information is completed and is on file with the Occupational Technology Division Chair:
- Date the program application is submitted
- Date the Accuplacer or appropriate placement test is passed at the required levels
- Date high school/GED transcript is received
To Be Completed at the time of Enrollment
The following State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists requirements must be met at the time of enrollment:
- Copy of high school or GED transcript
- Copy of Birth Certificate or Picture ID (driver’s license or state-issued identification card)
- $25 Board fee -- Must be paid to the CCC Cashiers Office and receipt should be provided to Educational Services in Room 151.
- Application to State Board (This will be filled about in Educational Services Room 151 at the time of enrollment. Students must take the above three items in order to complete the application and enroll for classes.) NOTE: A Social Security number is required to register with the State Board.)
- Two (2) passport-size photos (take to class the first day)
Program Practice Requirements
- Advancement within each level of the program requires a grade of 75% or better in all courses in the cosmetology, esthetics, and nail technician programs. Students who fail to meet the 75% or better requirements must repeat that entire semester.
- Students who have twice failed to achieve a grade of 75% or better in all courses for a specific phase will not be eligible for readmission to the Cosmetology program.
- To provide for optimal retention of material and continuous training for state board testing, it is highly recommended that a student enroll in four consecutive semesters. Students who have not completed the program and have been out of the program for more than 2 semesters will be required to reapply and start over with the first semester.
- The faculty reserves the right to recommend to the Division Chair the withdrawal of any student who is not showing satisfactory progress in the courses or whose behavior interferes with the legal, ethical, and/or safe practice of cosmetology.
Career opportunities in this area include Salon Owner, Cosmetic Consultant, Hair Stylist, Nail Technician, Esthetician, Barber, or Sales representative for major companies.
Career opportunities in this area include Spa Owner, Cosmetic Consultant, Nail Technician, Esthetician, or Sales representative for major companies.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in May 2012 the median hourly wage for jobs in this field were as follows: