Eligibility FAQ


To be considered for need-based aid at CCC, applicants must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Have earned a high school diploma or passed a High School Equivalency Credential test.
  • Be enrolled as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program. (UNDECIDED students are not eligible for financial aid.)
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number.
  • Meet Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan or owe a repayment on a federal grant.
  • Certify that all federal aid received will be used only for educational purposes.
  • All male citizens of the U.S. and male immigrant aliens 18 through 25 years old must be registered with the Selective Service.
  • Effective July 1, 2000, a law suspends aid eligibility for students convicted under federal or state law of sale or possession of drugs while receiving federal aid. Instructions on the FAFSA will help determine eligibility.
  • Be over 16 years of age and not enrolled at a secondary educational institution (High School).
  • Have submitted to the CCC Financial Aid Office any additional requested documentation in order to be considered for financial aid.
You are not eligible for a PELL grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), or New Mexico Student Incentive Grant (NMSIG), but you may be eligible to apply for a Federal Stafford student loan.

Yes. Financial aid is intended both to remove financial barriers for families who cannot afford the costs of an education beyond high school and to fill in the gap for families who can afford only part of the cost. Students are encouraged to file the FAFSA for private, need-based scholarships and must file FAFSA for student loan consideration.

By federal definition, you are considered independent if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • You are or will be 24 years of age or older by January 1 of the award year you are applying for
  • You are working on a degree beyond a Bachelor's degree.
  • You are married by the date you filed your FAFSA.
  • You are a ward of the court or both parents are deceased and you do not have an adoptive parent. If you were a ward of the court until the age of 18, please submit documentation showing release from court custody upon reaching age 18.
  • You have legal dependents that fit the following definition (children, who receive more than half of their support from you, or other people living with you who receive more than half of their support from you and will continue to receive that support during the academic year you are applying for aid)
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces. You are considered a veteran if you have engaged in active service in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air force, Marines, or Coast Guard and were released under a condition other than dishonorable.

    If you meet any of the criteria listed above, then you are not required to provide your parents' information on the FAFSA. Otherwise, you are required to provide your parents' information on the FAFSA, unless there were extenuating circumstances as to why you are no longer dependent on your parents for support. Independent status is NOT determined by your wish to be financially independent from your parents, nor on the basis of your parents' unwillingness to finance your college education. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you have additional questions.


Contact Info

Financial Aid Department
Dr. H. A. Miller Student Services Center
Clovis Community College
417 Schepps Blvd.
Clovis, NM 88101

Email: finaid@clovis.edu
Chat with us NOW!

FAFSA School Code: 004743

Hours of Operation:
Monday through Thursday
from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.